There is no need to explain what is a ConvaTech ostomy bag, or ostomy, below. If you have it or are about to undergo surgery for it, then I’m confident that your trustworthy surgeon has already clarified what this is about and why you need it. At this point, the most important thing to know is how to take care of it, and what to do when you’re going to change it on your own. This is mostly the issue for those who have already had ostomy surgical procedures, or those who are about to have it. Don’t get too nervous now. Here are valuable pieces of information that will help you and the members of your family too.Do you want to learn more? Visit Stealth Belt.
Until you start get your supplies available.
These are the items you need:
A fresh bag
A pocket clip
Clean towels or paper towels
Stoma tape, sometimes it’s a ring seal
Skin pads for cuts or stoma
A measurement pad
A journal You may buy your stoma materials from medical manufacturers, there’s plenty you will search online to collect products right at your doorstep. Doing this maybe awkward for you for the first time so it’s better to have a professional who can show you the whole procedure or help you through it, at least once, then you can do it yourself later.
The toilet is the best place to get your stoma pouch adjusted. But be sure the nearby bathroom is safe and sanitary for this operation. Since the stoma is an open wound, you need to take all the steps necessary to prevent any infection. Follow these directions once you have all the materials you need,: 1. Wash the hands thoroughly with water and soap. Also, it requires extensive cleaning. Make sure to wash your fingernails and your fingertips beneath. Protect your hands with a clean paper towel or towel.
- If you use a 2 piece stoma bag, using one hand to softly push the skin around the stoma. Take the seal off using the other cheek.
- Drop the pack, and keep the lock.
- Place the old pouch in a bag and put it in the bin.
- Cleanse the skin around the stoma using warm water, soap and clean washcloth. Dry, with towels cold.
- There may be some leakage, usually a little. Search for any discolouration on your face. The natural colour of the skin is either red or purple. If the color of your skin is black, blue or purple so call your doctor and have it tested.
- Wipe them clean across the face using the special skin wipes for stoma. Place any stoma powder on just the moist portion for any wetness.
- Use your own wipe again, brush gently over the powder and over the face.
- Let it dry at air for around 1 or 2 minutes.
- 10. Measure the depth of your stoma using the special measurement device take care not to contact the skin with the instrument.